We are aware that 23,000 Euros is quite a bit of money. Please do not hesitate to contact us and ask for help! We’ll take the time to discuss all available options with any interested party. In addition, we would like to give you information on financing options, as well as provide guidance if you wish to finance yourself.
- Finding different sources of funding: Most students that take part in an exchange program, have more than one source of funding. Even when parents contribute the majority, there are often other family members like grandparents, aunts, uncles etc., who also want to contribute.
- Paying your own way: Even as a student, with enough planning, you can earn a lot of money. For example, if you register for Ocean College a year in advance, you have your vacation periods to work and save. That may not seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but little strokes fell great oaks.
- Money given as a gift, e.g. Christmas and birthday, can be put towards your journey.
- Monthly installments: We know that for many families the total sum can’t be paid at once, so the cost of the trip is split into 6 monthly payments, with a 20% initial down payment.
- Sponsors: Resourceful students can search for sponsors, using their entrepreneurial skills. Creating a sponsor portfolio, and approaching companies on your own initiative is great preparation for the professional world. Companies receive positive PR through sponsorship programs, and in order to help, Ocean College will allow students to use the website/blog to advertise for their sponsoring company or organisation. Ideally, students would partner with a company whose field of activity is related to the project. If you are interested in journalism, you can try to become a “foreign correspondent” for your local newspaper and deliver reports and articles from the journey.
- Crowdfunding: A modern way of looking for sponsors! You create a presentation, upload it free of charge to a crowdfunding platform, and gain financial support from a large number of interested people. There are numerous sponsor reward options: postcards, an order for coffee from latin america, or an Ocean College T-shirt are a few examples.
- Student Exchange Fellowships: There are many scholarship providers that specified on exchange students. Ask Johan for more information!