Ocean College

From the Blog

A stormy day

Date: 07.09.2022
Author: Lena
Position: Scotsman’s bay
ETMAL: 688,3

seasick on a stormy day


Our day started at two a.m. because we had Anchorwatch for two hours. We slept for a short time because we were so tired during the watch.

This hours weren’t exciting because there was nothing to do except the anchorcheck every fifteen minutes.

At four we went back to bed and had a short but refreshing sleep. We lifted the anchor in the morning and started the cloudy day motivated.

My seasickness started in the morning so I laid down on the Welldeck to rest and get some sleep. After an hour I felt much better, so I tried to get up and get some food.

But every time I tried, my seasickness was coming back. Finally I went to see our ships medic, a nice and friendly lady called Sophie.

She recommended me to use a patch wich should help me against the seasickness. After two hours it began to help and I felt relieved.

Full speed without engine

Our watch started at twelve thirty after lunch. The whole time we had wind on the beam from port and we had to do bracing first before setting sails.

First we were setting the square sails which included a lot of pulling and easing. Second we settled the Staysail. In the end we were sailing with eight sails: Innerjib, Outerjib, Staysail, Foregaff, Course, Top sail, T’gallent, and the Spanker.

Since we’ve set the sails, the ship was extremely leaning to starboard which was very funny. At least we were able to turn the engine off and only move with the force off the wind. Surprisingly we were going six knots even tough the wind was coming from the beam.

The average of wind strength was about thirteen to twenty knots which equals around twenty nine to thirty eight kilometers per hour. It was a marvellous experience to be so fast without the engine.

At six p.m we arrived at Scotsman’s bay and anchored near to the shore. Sadly some of the voyage crew and Charlie the scientist had to leave us there to go back home. So we launched the RIB and they went ashore.

After that it was time for Happy Hour and we turned the music on and started the cleaning, mobbing and hoovering. When everything was clean and tidy we went to our last anchor Watch.

Kommentar verfassen

Diese Website verwendet Akismet, um Spam zu reduzieren. Erfahre mehr darüber, wie deine Kommentardaten verarbeitet werden.



Klicke einfach an, mit wem du sprechen willst, oder sende uns eine Mail an info@oceancollege.eu

× Fragen?
%d Bloggern gefällt das: